Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Workplace Harassment


Yesterday I had lunch with a friend.  She confided in me that her boss had been harassing her.  She didn't use these words but that's what it amounted to.  She said that she asked for help and he chided her for it, saying things like "You've been here a long time...you should know how to do your job."  When she pointed out to him that the rules are changing constantly, he stared at her and said (with venom):  "Why don't you retire."  It wasn't a question, it was a statement.  As she was telling me this story I could feel my blood boiling and I recalled my own incidents of workplace harassment and how I handled them.  Being a hothead, I didn't handle most of them well.  Some jobs I just walked off.  Others I told them what I thought.  There were some times where I was more reasonable and said something not so stupid, but not many.  I'm not a hothead most of the time, primarily when there is an injustice.

So, the question is:  Have you ever been subjected to workplace harassment, and what did you do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment